My gal pal, Cassie of Hi Sugarplum, is a superstar when it comes to creating high-end trendy looks, on a shoestring budget.  She also has a love for bold colors, so I always get excited to see what she is up to and I just lovity love her style (in both home and fashion).  She is stopping by today to share with us her super savvy solution for corralling her daughter's favorite reading materials (but this could totally work for little boys and adults as well!)  Take it away Cassie!


Hey there, friends! I'm excited to be back over here on Jen's gorgeous blog...a place of so much creativity and ingenuity! Not to mention, she's got some of the sweetest readers around! Speaking of readers (how you like that segue?!), my daughter recently graduated to 'chapter books', and all of a sudden, she can't get enough of books and reading time!

Obviously, this makes a mama's heart happy, and I want to do everything I can to encourage her. When we created her Big Girl Room, we carved out a secret reading nook, but her room was lacking in bookshelves. I looked around online, and fell instantly in love with this Land of Nod book caddy...but didn't love the $150 price tag! #ouch Plus, it's a little too big for her small room.

So I decided to get crafty and create my own out of a bamboo drying rack! It's available at various retailers, but I picked up this one from Container Store.


A few quick coats of bright yellow high gloss spray paint, and a book caddy was born! Oh, and did I mention it was only $20!? #score



It's sturdy enough to hold her heavier hard-back books, but still folds up and tucks away when you need a tidier space.




Each week, she loads it up with new favorites, then has them all at her fingertips. I love to see what books she chooses, as well as the other treasures she stores in it. I'm thinking of making another one to hold magazines in our family room.


Do you remember the Little Miss series? These were mine as a child, and I still remember my grandfather reading them to me. I love that she wants to hang on to them, even though her reading level has grown.


We currently keep the book caddy near her art center (which I cleaned up for pictures, don't be fooled into thinking she's this tidy!), so it's a whole corner of imagination and creativity!



Is there anything better than seeing your kiddo voluntarily reading? Or the peace and quiet that comes with it?! ;) Thanks for letting me share! I'd love to hear how you corral all the books in your kid's rooms.



 "Hi, I'm Cassie, a DIY and design-obsessed Texas girl, and lover of travel, fashion, sarcasm and Mexican food. When I'm not hanging with my sweet and funny family, you can find me kicking the '80s out of our home, one budget project at a time, on my blog Hi Sugarplum!"

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top