Today's post is another fab example of how changes in schedules and seasons can cause major organizational updates.

Cassie, of Hi Sugarplum, has been writing for me for quite awhile now and I always appreciate that she finds ways to make me laugh, feel inspired and ready to make something with tassels.  She is one stylish chic in all areas of her life; everything from the home she is decorating to her daily wears.  Speaking of!  She is working on a blank slate of a house which means all sorts of pretty organizing.  And today she is here to share how the recent onset of summer has driven her to whip her pantry into shape.  Are any of you working on your pantry as part of this week's organizational challenge?  If so, be ready for some ideas and eye candy to keep you motivated!



Hello iHeart friends! I'm thrilled to be back on Jen's rockstar blog sharing my latest organized space. I had the honor of participating in the {One Room Challenge} with her, and am still blown away by their Living Room! And don't get me started on her Kitchen. We have girl-time planned for next month, and I can't wait to see her cute face.

School's out in our neck of the woods, which means it's officially Summer. Which also means our house is a revolving door of hungry kids, constantly hitting up the pantry for snacks. It only took a few days before I realized I needed a better system...for both me when trying to put together a meal, and for the all-day snackers!


That's the After...you don't want to see the Before! Which is crazy because we've only lived in this house a few months! But it just proves that without a good system, a space will become prime clutter-zone in no time!

I began like I do every organizing project...emptied everything out, got rid of the junk hiding in the back, and started with a clean slate. I thought about lining the shelves or the back with cute paper...but decided to keep it simple since food packages are so busy. And honestly, I just wanted this done before the next wave of kids stopped by!


Just like our last house's pantry, I used Ikea and Dollar Store bins and canisters to group like items. I've found they keep items from getting lost in the back, and overlooked, especially once they've been opened. It also helps me shop because I can quickly check each category and see what needs replenishing. At the same time, it keeps me from overspending because I only shop for what fits in each bin! #sneaky


The bottom shelves hold the foods the kids reach for most often...cereal, crackers, and snack bars. Labels in my treasured bookplates make finding things easily.

Sidenote: Can we pause a moment to mourn the discontinuation of these Martha Stewart bookplates?! What are she and Staples thinking no longer selling them?!? #asyouwere


Removing individually-wrapped foods from their packages saves a ton of space in bins. And saves you from finding the inevitably empty carton still on the shelf!



A long tiered rack makes the cans and bottles easily seen and accessible.



The higher shelves hold items I use for most meal prep...pasta, rice, baking supplies.




Items that require measuring are stored in air-tight canisters. And I recommend labeling them unless you're absolutely sure you can tell the difference between flour and powdered sugar. #oops

Tip: Flour and sugar packages are rarely the same size as my canisters, so I store the leftover in ziplock bags in the separate bins on the top shelf.




Don't overlook vertical space....the side of the cabinet is a great spot for baskets holding small packets.


We have a hard-core Crystal Light addiction...yes I'm aware our insides are probably the color of Red Dye #9. #dontjudge



The bins at the very top hold extras of the items I buy in bulk. The kids aren't allowed to get a new box of cereal down until one has been emptied! #momlaw



Now I'm ready to face the Summer snackers! What spaces do you need to tackle before the kids descend? You can see more of my organized spaces here, and the rooms we've decorated in the new house here and here. Happy organizing, lovebugs!




 "Hi, I'm Cassie, a DIY and design-obsessed Texas girl, and lover of travel, fashion, sarcasm and Mexican food. When I'm not hanging with my sweet and funny family, you can find me kicking the '80s out of our home, one budget project at a time, on my blog Hi Sugarplum!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top